Thursday, March 17, 2011

A guitarist's friend.

I have been playing guitar as long as I can remember. I guess it was somewhere around junior high that I really began learning new songs and experimenting with different tunings but it seems like I have always had a guitar lying around somewhere, and one of my favorite things to do when I’m bored is pick it up and bang around some. I never had any global expectations or big dreams I was chasing. At first I never even thought I would ever attempt to play publicly or in a band at all, although lately it has seemed like it would be kind of fun. No, my interest in playing guitar was strictly extracurricular. It was something to do and I never really even cared if I made it big or impressed anyone with it.    
As with any hobby or profession there are always little pet peeves, or pains that every musician deals with. My biggest one was always hunting for a guitar pick. It seemed like I never had around when I wanted it and although they aren’t very expensive, it gets old making a trip to the guitar shop once a week to buy more simply because I couldn’t hold onto mine for more than ten minutes. Any guitarist reading this has to know what I am talking about. I would jam them in the strings of my guitar, but I never really liked doing that. I would put them in my guitar bag, but when I needed one I would still have to rummage through the bag, moving everything else in there aside to find a pick the size of a quarter. Recently I found an item that everyone may not know about, but should. I purchased a Dunlop Scotty pick holder from guitar center, a site I found online that has everything you need for music, and my life has been easier ever since. This spring loaded pick holder is only a few bucks and sticks to your guitar with an adhesive back. Depending on the thickness of your picks, you can hold five or more picks at a time in it. I loaded it up with all of my favorite picks and now I always have one at my fingertips. My friends and people who have seen me play always comment on it, so it doubles as a conversation piece as well.            
I have bought a lot of products in my day, both expensive and cheap, and I have never found an item that served me so well for so little money. The guitar center is a fantastic site that carries anything you may need for any instrument you play. It amazes me that until recently I had never owned one of these. If you play guitar and have the same problem I used to with holding onto your picks you will definitely want to check this out. http://links.t.guitarcenter.com/ctt?m=862896&r=LTIyOTI0NzgyMQS2&b=0&j=MjU2ODYyMTcS1&mt=1&kt=12&kx=1&k=www_guitarcenter_com_&kd=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guitarcenter.com%2F

1 comment:

  1. Mine's blue :) But I lost the top to it in my clutter. So I dunno if that is any better for me:/

    ReplyDelete